I have had a recurring theme in the lessons I am learning from life and from the Lord over the last several months. I have given a name to that theme; it is the "Know AND Do" principle. I am developing that theme into a bit of a way of life for me. And while I am not perfect, nor do I expect to become such anytime soon, I am finding that there are treasures of the Spirit when I do choose to live this way. I believe that these treasures are given to me through personal revelation. I believe that God continues to speak to His children today, just as He has in times past.
In the Know AND Do principle, I seek the Lord's will through prayer and meditation, I then ask for the power to carry it out, when His will is manifested. I then go throughout my day, keeping my eyes and ears open to opportunities to lift and serve and share. When they arise, hopefully I act on them.
As I have been experiencing this, some lessons have been learned. A few of those have been quite eye-opening and painful to me, but I know in whom I trust, and I know that He lifts me and puts me on His path as I allow Him to. Here are some of those lessons:
1. If I have knowledge yet I don't act on it, it doesn't do anyone, myself included, any good.
2. If I have an education yet I don't apply it, it isn’t of any real value.
3. If I have faith yet I don't have works, that faith is dead, and it sounds as the tinkling brass with no real power.
4. If I have a testimony of any good or eternal principle, yet I am not converted or practicing that principle, it doesn't do me, or anyone else, any good.
5. If I have received a calling or assignment, yet I choose not to magnify it, I am not learning from it, and the lives around me are not being blessed by it.
In this light, the following passage of scripture comes to mind wherein the lit candle is the "Know" and the shining/sharing of it is the "Do".
15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
Throughout my life, God has blessed me with a lit candle. There have been times where I have chosen to hide that light and even be ashamed of it. Sometimes that light has grown quite dim and neared being extinguished; not because the light wasn't real, but because I hid it and tried to smother it. But, as I choose to Do and lift that light by acting on what I receive, not only is the path illuminated for me, but it also "giveth light to all that are" upon that path with me. And all are edified and can rejoice together.
I believe that most outwardly practicing disciples of Christ already know enough, but do we “do”? The invitation today is to take the first step in doing what I know. And if I don’t know, to start seeking to know.
* The premise of Journey Through Life is to share my personal experiences of faith and hope, and tie those to either a verse of scripture from one of many sources that people all over the world consider as inspired and holy, or a quote from Godly and inspired men and women from throughout history. From these experiences and sources, I will then issue an invitation to myself, and in turn the audience, to Do what is now Known.
I do not pretend to be an expert on doctrine or on any of the subject matters that will be shared. I only claim to be one of God’s children, walking through life, striving to do God’s will for me, and sharing what I experience.
If you feel this a positive influence in your life, please subscribe to this podcast. Also, please like and follow Know And Do on Facebook. Find us there by searching for Know And Do.
As always, my experience is that the Key to peace and happiness in life, is Knowing Jesus Christ and Doing as He teaches.